Frequently Asked Questions about the Ph.D. Program

Phd Faq

How long does it take to complete the Ph.D. in peace studies?

It typically takes 5 years. 

What are the requirements for admission?

Preferred applicants show high academic ability and demonstrate long-term commitment to building peace and global justice. You must submit GRE scores and, if English is not your first language, TOEFL scores. A master's degree is not required, but it can strengthen your application.

What Financial Support is Available?

Incoming Ph.D. students normally receive either a fellowship or assistantship that provides a full tuition scholarship, plus a stipend for living expenses for five years, contingent upon satisfactory progress in the program. Living-expense stipends for the 2018-19 academic year are $23,000. (Compare the cost of living in South Bend to other areas in the country) Students receiving graduate assistantships are assigned to work either on faculty research projects or to assist faculty with teaching or professional peacebuilding. If students enter with advanced standing and transfer credits, the number of years of support may be less than five.

Funding may also be available, in full or in part, beyond five years when warranted. Additional funding may be available for summer travel to support research, although this is provided on a competitive basis and not available for all students every year.

The Kroc Institute encourages its graduate students to seek outside fellowships for financial support, both before arriving and after coming to campus. Such awards not only provide financial assistance, but also act as formal recognition of the student’s accomplishments and promise.

What is the maximum time for field work? 

There is no official limit, but a year is considered a reasonable maximum. Field work is most likely to occur when a student gathers data for dissertation research.

Can I be granted an application fee waiver?

You may be eligible for a fee waiver if you are not a U.S. citizen and live in a country in which access to foreign currency is restricted and/or paying the fee would cause extreme financial hardship. A limited number of fee waivers are available in these circumstances.

To request a fee waiver, you must do the following before you submit your online application:  Send an email explaining the circumstances that necessitate your request.  You must also e-mail your TOEFL score (if you are not a native English speaker), your GRE score, and your transcripts listing all university-level classes and grades. Your transcripts should include an English translation and an explanation of the grading system for each university. We will send you an e-mail reply to your fee waiver request.

Do I need to select a faculty adviser before applying to the Ph.D. program?

Accepted students select a faculty adviser after they have begun taking courses. In the personal statement in your application, you may indicate the faculty member with whom you would like to work (you do not need a professor's advance approval to do so).

Who can I contact to learn more about the Ph.D. program?

Contact faculty in the doctoral program: