Ph.D. in Peace Studies Requirements
Doctoral students in peace studies are required to:
- complete coursework in peace studies and their joint area;
- serve as a teaching or research assistant for at least five semesters;
- pass the Comprehensive Exam in Peace Studies and an exam in their joint area;
- submit an article to a peer-reviewed scholarly journal and submit an application for external funding for doctoral research;
- demonstrate proficiency in at least one language other than English; and
- research, write, defend, and submit a dissertation of original research.
For information on joint Department course offerings, see the departmental websites below.
PRES (Peace Research Education Seminar)
All Ph.D. students and Kroc faculty members attend this monthly seminar during which a visiting scholar, faculty member or graduate student presents and receives feedback on research in progress. Ph.D. students often serve as formal discussants and are active participants in these multidisciplinary conversations. Previous PRES topics include:
- "Transnational Feminist Praxis in the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom in the Aftermath of the Second World War"
- "This is Our Law! Child Rights and Power in Northern Sierra Leone"
- "Following Sister Cecilia in Pabbo: Anthropological Theology as Apprenticeship to the Other"
- "Armed with Good Intentions: Explaining Arms Embargo Compliance"
- "Defining Good Governance and Its Relation to Prevention of Armed Conflict"
- "Gender Roles Amidst Political, Social, Economic, and Religious Change: Bangladesh and Senegal as Cases"
- “Daily Interactions, Indignity, and the Locus of Conflict in Refugee Camps: A View from Kakuma Refugee Camp, Kenya”
- "Practicing Conversation: Feminist Research with Women Activists on the Israeli and Palestinian Religious Right."
- “Systematic Peace: CPA Implementation and Long-Term Conflict Reduction”
- “Drawing on Beauty: Aesthetics, Authority and International Law"
- “Interpreting Islam: US Relations with Iraq and Indonesia, 1956-1968”