Alumni Visiting Research Fellowship
Applications for the 2024-25 academic year are now open.
The Kroc Institute invites its alumni who have graduated prior to 2013 and hold an advanced degree to apply for a one-semester (fall or spring) visiting research fellowship at the Institute. This fellowship is intended for Kroc Institute alumni who have pursued careers as peacebuilding practitioners and who seek time to reflect on and write about their work while in residence at the Institute.
Interested applicants should apply using the regular Visiting Research Fellow Application and identifying the Alumni track in their research proposal. Alumni who may not meet the appropriate criteria are also encouraged to apply for the regular Visiting Research Fellowships.
The successful alumni visiting fellow will be expected to be involved in the intellectual life of the Institute, and to produce a tangible result from the fellowship. This could include producing a publishable written work that brings to bear their practical experience in conversation with innovative peace research in their field, hosting a workshop or mini class while on campus, or another creative product developed during the fellowship.
Alumni fellowship applicants should submit a five-page proposal focused on their expertise in the broad field of strategic peacebuilding, outlining the outcome envisioned from the fellowship, and the means to achieve it. For an article for publication, that would include research design, literature review, and the potential contribution of their research and writing to scholarship and practice in peace studies and other relevant fields. For another product, include a comparable description of the foundation and scope of the project, the projected outcome, and relevance to the Kroc Institute and other scholars and practitioners of peacebuilding.
Alumni Visiting Fellowships are for one semester and begin at the start of the University of Notre Dame’s semester (August or January). Alumni Fellows receive a stipend of $30,000. for the semester. Housing is provided in furnished Institute apartments at no cost. Fellows have library and Internet access and document retrieval services.
A complete application consists of:
- The Visiting Research Fellows Application Form
- A project proposal (maximum 5 pages) identifying you are applying toward the Alumni track and outlining the outcome envisioned from the fellowship and the process to achieve it. Whether research publication or other product, include description of the foundation and scope of the project, the projected outcome, and relevance to scholars and practitioners of peacebuilding.
- Cover letter (no more than two pages)
- A current Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation
A Kroc Institute faculty committee reviews the applications and makes the selections. Results will be announced in March.
- Applicants must have graduated from one of the Kroc Institute’s academic programs (undergraduate or graduate) prior to 2013
- Alumni of the Kroc undergraduate program must have completed a graduate degree (a masters, doctoral or professional degree)
If you have further questions about the application process, please contact Anne E. Hayner, (574) 631-5014, email@example.com