Building Sustainable Peace: Ideas, Evidence, and Strategies
An interdisciplinary conference on the state of the field of peace research and practice and the nexus between them.
November 7-10, 2019
Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies, University of Notre Dame
The Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies, one of the world's leading academic centers for the study of the causes of violent conflict and strategies for sustainable peace, invites scholars, educators and practitioners to a Fall 2019 conference on the state of the field of peace research and practice, and the nexus between them. The conference is designed to animate conversations about the synergies and the contestations between theory and practice, the field and the classroom, and the different local, national, regional and global orientations towards peace.
The conference is organized around four overarching themes:
- Understanding Violence
- Confronting Injustice
- Building Peaceful Societies
Highlights from the Building Sustainable Peace Conference
Keynote speakers include:
- John Paul Lederach, Professor Emeritus of International Peacebuilding, Kroc Institute
- Séverine Autesserre, Professor of Political Science, Barnard College, Columbia University
- sujatha baliga, Director of the Restorative Justice Project and Just Beginnings Collaborative Fellow at Impact Justice
- Sergio Jaramillo, Colombia’s Former High Commissioner of Peace; Ambassador of Colombia to Belgium
The conference will also bring together 290 presenters for over 50 workshops, roundtable discussions, and paper presentation sessions.