Forty-four faculty from 16 educational institutions from the United States and around the world attended the Kroc Institute’s 8th annual Summer Institute for Faculty, "Teaching Peace in the 21st Century," held at Notre Dame from June 13-17, 2016. This year's Summer Institute was co-sponsored by the Kroc Institute and the United States Institute of Peace (USIP) in Washington, D.C.
The Summer Institute engages teams of faculty, in any field, who seek to launch or expand peace studies programs at their colleges and universities. Interdisciplinary peace studies programs have been shown to enhance student learning, faculty teaching and research, and community and world engagement.
This year's participants represented the following institutions:
- Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary (Elkhart, Indiana)
- Claretians Missionaries (Bayern, Germany)
- Dawson College (Quebec City, Canada)
- Emory University (Atlanta, Georgia)
- Gawharshad University, Afghanistan (Kabul, Afghanistan/USIP)
- Gustavus Adolphus College (St. Peter, Minnesota)
- São Paulo State University (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- SOAS, University of London (London, United Kingdom)
- University of Ilorin (Ilorin, Nigeria)
- University of San Diego (San Diego, California)
- University of the Fraser Valley (British Columbia, Canada)
- University of the Sacred Heart (Gulu, Uganda)
- Walsh University (North Canton, Ohio)
- Westminster College (New Wilmington, Pennsylvania)
- Wheaton College (Wheaton, Illinois)
- University of Notre Dame/United States Institute of Peace
George A. Lopez, an internationally recognized authority on peace studies program development led the Institute. Now Hesburgh Chair of Peace Studies, Emeritus at the Kroc Institute, Lopez also served as Vice President of the Academy for International Conflict Management and Peacebuilding at USIP from September 2013 – August 2015.
Since the Summer Institute was created in 2009, 374 faculty from 105 institutions have attended the Kroc Institute's weeklong event.
Contact: George Lopez, firstname.lastname@example.org