Research Professor; Associate Director of the Peace Accords Matrix
331 Hesburgh Center for International Studies
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Phone: (574) 631-4679
Fax: (574) 631-6973
Areas of expertise: Peace processes and peacebuilding, peace agreement design and implementation, post-civil war transition; peace duration; quality peace; Maoist insurgency in Nepal
Madhav Joshi is research professor and associate director of the Peace Accords Matrix (PAM). He oversees the data coding on the implementation of peace agreements worldwide for the PAM project and leads the research initiatives on peace agreement design, implementation, and post-implementation political and economic developments.
Joshi earned his Ph.D. in comparative politics and research methodology from the University of North Texas in 2010. His research and teaching focus on civil wars, mediation, post-civil war democratization and democratic survival, peace duration and peacebuilding, quality peace, and the Maoist insurgency in Nepal. He has published on these topics in Social Science Research, the British Journal of Political Science, the Journal of Conflict Resolution, the Journal of Peace Research, International Studies Quarterly, Democratization, Global Governance, and many other journals.
Joshi has authored and coauthored over 70 policy briefings to facilitate ongoing negotiations on issues related to peace accord contents and implementation challenges for the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (Philippines), Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nepal Transition to Peace, the Office of the High Commissioner for Peace (Colombia), the United Nations Development Programme, and many civil society organizations involved in peace processes around the world.
- Journal Article: Matthew Hauenstein and Madhav Joshi (2020) Remaining Seized of the Matter: UN Resolutions and Peace Implementation, International Studies Quarterly, 64:4, 834–844.
- Research brief: November 2020, Madhav Joshi, Louise Olsson, Rebecca Gindele, Josefina Echavarría Alvarez, Elise Ditta, and Patrick Mcquestion. Women, Peace and Security: Understanding the Implementation of Gender Stipulations in Peace Agreements, Joint Brief Series: New Insights on Women, Peace and Security (WPS) for the Next Decade, Stockholm: Folke Bernadotte Academy, PRIO and UN Women.
- Policy Brief: Madhav Joshi, Myla Jabilles Leguro, Håvard Mokleiv Nygård, Stephen Oola and Matthew Hauenstein (2020) The Effect of COVID-19 on Peace Agreement Implementation, PRIO Paper. Oslo: PRIO.
- Journal Article: Madhav Joshi (2020) An Institutional Explanation of Troop Contributions in UN Peacekeeping Missions, International Peacekeeping, 27:5, 785-809.
- Journal Article: Madhav Joshi (2020) A Comparative Analysis of One-Sided Violence and Civil War Peace Agreement Implementation. Stability: International Journal of Security and Development, 9(1), p.11.
- Journal Article: Madhav Joshi and Jason Quinn. Civil war termination and foreign direct investment, 1989–2012. Conflict Management and Peace Science. 2020;37(4):451-470.
- Journal Article: Roger Mac Ginty, Madhav Joshi and SungYong Lee (2019) "Liberal Peace Implementation and the Durability of Post-war Peace," International Peacekeeping,26:4: 457:487.
- Book: Madhav Joshi and Peter Wallensteen (2018) Understanding Quality Peace: Peacebuilding after Civil War. Routledge.
- News: Colombian peace agreement progressing steadily, says Kroc Institute report
- Report: Madhav Joshi, Louise Olsson, Rebecca Gindele, Josefina Echavarría Alvarez, Elise Ditta and Patrick McQuestion. November 2020, Women, peace and security: Understanding the implementation of gender provisions in the peace agreements, Series of memoirs in the appendix: News perspectives on women, peace and security (WPS) for the next decade, Stockholm: Folke Bernadotte Academy, PRIO and UN Women. (In French)
- Research article: Joshi, Madhav and Louise Olsson. 2021 “War Termination and Women’s Political Rights.” Social Science Research. 94(2): https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2020.102523
- Report: Joshi, Madhav.
- Policy/op-ed/blog: Securing a Plan for Ending the War in Afghanistan. (with David Cortright) IPI Global Observatory, 16 March, 2021.
- Policy/op-ed/blog: “A Critical Moment for Women’s Political Rights in Intra-Afghan Negotiation and Beyond.” (With Louise Olsson). PRIO Blog. 3 March 2021
- Journal: Joshi, Madhav and Louise Olsson. 2021 “War Termination and Women’s Political Rights.” Social Science Research. 94(2): https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2020.102523
- Report: Joshi, Madhav and Sophia Henn. Building a Network for Successful Peace Negotiations in Afghanistan: Social Network Analysis of the Afghan Peace Process. Notre Dame, IN: Peace Accords Matrix/Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies/Keough School for Global Affairs, 2021. https://doi.org/10.7274/r0-ax7h-g962
- Report: Joshi, Madhav. Assessing Implementation of the 2020 US-Taliban Peace Accord. Notre Dame, IN: Keough School of Global Affairs, 2021. https://doi.org/10.7274/r0-k8n7-2a40