Josefina Echavarría Alvarez
Associate Professor of the Practice; Director of the Peace Accords Matrix (PAM)
2110JA Jenkins Nanovic Halls
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Phone: (574) 631-8536
Dr. Josefina Echavarría Alvarez is an Associate Professor of the Practice and the director of the Peace Accords Matrix (PAM) program at the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies, part of the Keough School of Global Affairs. Josefina is also a faculty fellow of the Pulte Institute for Global Development and serves as a faculty advisor for the Afghanistan Program for Peace and Development program at the University of Notre Dame.
As the director of PAM, she leads the Barometer Initiative in Colombia, which carries out official monitoring of implementation of the 2016 Final Agreement between the government and the former FARC-EP. Josefina also directs the Legacy Project for “Preserving and Engaging the Digital Archive of the Colombian Truth Commission", which guarantees continued access to more than 200,000 files including audiovisual, non-textual knowledge and digitized documents compiled by the Colombian Truth Commission about the country’s 52-year armed conflict to advance transitional justice, human rights and the centrality of victims.
She was previously co-director of the Research Center for Peace and Conflict at the University of Innsbruck and a Fellow at the University of Cambridge (United Kingdom) and Trinity College (Ireland). She has been a guest lecturer at numerous universities around the world on peacebuilding, peace education, gender, conflict analysis, and research methods. She has also managed diverse international cooperation projects in the fields of gender, citizenship, and curricular development for peace and conflict studies.
Josefina earned her Ph.D. in Peace, Conflict, and Democracy from the Jaume I University (Spain), an M.A. in Peace, Development, Security and International Conflict Transformation from the University of Innsbruck (Austria), and a B.A. in Government and International Relations from the University Externado (Colombia).
- Editor in chief of the PAM policy briefs
- Barometer Initiative reports in English
- Barometer Initiative reports in Spanish
- Encyclopedia entry: Josefina Echavarría Alvarez, Elise Ditta, Juanita Esguerra-Rezk, Patrick McQuestion. (2020) Colombian Peace Agreement 2016. In: Richmond O., Visoka G. (eds) The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Peace and Conflict Studies. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-11795-5_128-1
- Encyclopedia entry: Josefina Echavarría Alvarez and Jason Quinn. (2020) Peace Agreements. In: Richmond O., Visoka G. (eds) The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Peace and Conflict Studies. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-11795-5_140-1
- Research brief: Elise Ditta , Josefina Echavarría Alvarez, Patrick McQuestion, and Madhav Joshi. November 2020, Women, Peace and Security: Understanding the Implementation of Gender Stipulations in Peace Agreements, Joint Brief Series: New Insights on Women, Peace and Security (WPS) for the Next Decade, Stockholm: Folke Bernadotte Academy, PRIO and UN Women. (Co-authored with Elise Ditta and Patrick McQuestion)
- Report: Madhav Joshi, Louise Olsson, Rebecca Gindele, Josefina Echavarría Alvarez, Elise Ditta and Patrick McQuestion. November 2020, Women, peace and security: Understanding the implementation of gender provisions in the peace agreements, Series of memoirs in the appendix: News perspectives on women, peace and security (WPS) for the next decade, Stockholm: Folke Bernadotte Academy, PRIO and UN Women. (In French)