During the second year of the master's program, most students work for nearly 6 months at a leading organization in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East or the United States. During these internships, students integrate theory with practice in communities dealing with issues of peace and conflict, economic development, human rights, and justice. Internships have been offered in these locations:
Students work at organizations supporting education, economic development, and community participation in peace processes, such as:
- Santo Domingo Foundation
- Corporación Desarrollo y Paz de Canal del Dique Zona Costera
- Observatory for Internal Displacement at the University of Cartagena
Cape Town, South Africa
Students work at nongovernmental organizations specializing in reconciliation, design of democratic institutions, or government, such as:
- Geodgedacht Forum
- Social Justice Coalition
- Ndifuna Ukwazi (Dare to Know)
- Western Cape Religious Leaders Forum
- Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation
- Catholic Parliamentary Liaison Office
- Institute for Justice and Reconciliation
Students live at Notre Dame’s Tantur Ecumenical Institute while working at organizations such as:
- Rabbis for Human Rights, Jerusalem
- Association for Civil Rights, Israel
- Holy Land Trust, Bethlehem
- Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology Center, Jerusalem
- Applied Research Institute, Jerusalem
- Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine & Israel
Students work with nongovernmental organizations focusing on human rights and development, such as:
- Refugee Law Project
- Acholi Religious Leaders Peace Initiative
- Gulu Women's Economic Development and Globalization
- The AIDS Support Organization
- The Justice and Reconciliation Project
Mindanao, the Philippines
Students work with people of all religious backgrounds at organizations such as:
The United States
Students work for organizations such as:
- United States Institute of Peace, Washington, D.C.
- Institute for Inclusive Security, Washington, D.C.
- The World Bank, Washington, D.C.
- Institute for Social Policy and Understanding, Washington, D.C.
- Arms Control Association, Washington, D.C.
- Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, D.C.
- Future of Peace Operations (Stimson Center), Washington, D.C.
- Catholic Relief Services, Baltimore