Peace Accords Matrix Research Assistant
The Kroc Institute seeks a full-time Research Assistant for the Peace Accords Matrix Project.
Location: Notre Dame, Indiana
Apply by October 30.
The Research Assistant will work closely with the Peace Accords Matrix (PAM) Research Associates to support the Barometer initiative, which tracks implementation of Colombia’s 2016 peace agreement. The Research Assistant will report directly to the Assistant Director of Policy Studies. The Research Assistant will assist the PAM team in tracking implementation of the Colombian Peace Agreement in the media, as well as provide support on administrative tasks and document management for the Barometer program. The candidate must be fluent in Spanish, both in speaking and writing, and have contextual knowledge of the peace process in Colombia. Careful attention to detail and the ability to work independently are crucial to this role.
The following activities will be part of this position:
1. Track Implementation of the Colombian Peace Agreement in the Media (50%): The Research Assistant will have primary responsibility for selecting articles about implementation of the Colombian peace agreement from 60 media sources each day; writing summaries about pertinent news articles; uploading and citing news articles in the Colombian Peace Accord Database; and linking each article to commitments in the Colombian Peace Accord. This may require coordination with other part-time undergraduate Research Assistants.
2. Document Management for the Barometer Project (25%): The Research Assistant will work closely with the Research Associates to manage the foundational research tools for the project. This could include:
- Organizing/Managing/Refining documents (Word and Excel) which contains the commitments of the Colombian Peace Agreement, monthly coding, and monthly information about specific commitments in the accord
- Occasionally conducting research about specific implementation events
- Writing brief summaries of Institutional Reports from agencies in Colombia
- Editing summaries of “Implementation Events” from the team of researchers in Colombia
- Potentially helping process reports from researchers in the Colombian territories
- Preparing training materials for other undergraduate Research Assistants
3. Provide Administrative Support to the Barometer Initiative (25%): The Research Assistant will work with the Peace Accords Matrix in support of administrative tasks including:
- Scheduling team meetings by coordinating team member schedules, reserving a conference room, and sending calendar invites
- Assisting in scheduling travel for team members
- Assisting in the preparation of expense reports
- Assisting in the logistics for PAM events
- A successful applicant will possess excellent research and organizational skills, and the ability to communicate well (in English and Spanish) and work in coordination with fellow researchers and support staff.
- Extensive knowledge of the Spanish language and the ability to translate articles written in Spanish and converse with Colombian nationals is required.
- Work experience in Colombia, with in-depth knowledge of current events in Colombia related to the conflict and peace agreement is also required.
- Competency in Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel.
The University of Notre Dame seeks to attract, develop, and retain the highest quality faculty, staff and administration. The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace. We strongly encourage applications from female and minority candidates and others that will enhance our community. Moreover, Notre Dame prohibits discrimination against veterans or disabled qualified individuals, and requires affirmative action by covered contractors to employ and advance veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities in compliance with 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-300.5(a).