Wallensteen, a renowned academic in the field, draws on recent research and examples from around the world, linking the theory of conflict resolution to real-world cases throughout the book.
New to the third edition:
- Expanded coverage of the making of peace agreements, including peace and justice, disarmament, and gender-peace connections.
- Coverage of the actions of the Obama administration.
- Explores the ongoing situations in Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, the Côte d'Ivoire, Iran, Pakistan and the Arab democratic wave from a conflict resolution perspective.
- Updated coverage of the continuing 'war on terror'.
- Attention is given to the comparison of different outcomes, whether negotiated between parties or victory of one over the other with references to Sri Lanka, the Middle East, and Liberia.
Understanding Conflict Resolution remains an essential text for all students, lecturers and researchers of peace and conflict resolution in international relations, global politics and political science.
"Those of us guiding students through this field owe Peter Wallensteen great thanks for a masterful and erudite guide to modern-day political violence and conflict resolution." - Times Higher Education, United Kingdom